It is known that dogs, especially puppies, tend to put everything in their mouths. Sadly, many plants or flowers, even the most common ones, have toxic effects, going from a simple indigestion to poisoning and to death.
It is then best to know how to recognize these plants to keep them away from our pets, without forgetting that a dog can stand on its hind legs to catch something that we thought was out of reach.
Here are certain examples of plants that could be fatal to our friends.
Very toxic plant. Raw beans are toxic for dogs. Symptoms: Displeasure or refusing to eat, diarrhoea, stomach and intestine inflammation, cramps.
Toxic or very toxic plant. Garlic bulbs are toxic for dogs. Symptoms: vomiting, diarrhoea, blood in the urine, paleness or jaundice.
Lin, cultivated Lin
Extremely toxic . The seeds and the flaxseeds are toxic for dogs. Symptoms: vomiting, dizziness, cramps, shaking, quivers, rapid breathing, slow heartbeat.
Plant and forage toxic. The leaves and the stems are toxic for dogs. Symptoms: inflammation of the skin which appears when exposed to the sun, fertility disruptions, growth problems.
Toxic plant. Onions are toxic for dogs, cats, small mammals, birds and horses. Symptoms: diarrhoea, coordination problems, paleness, blood in the urine.
Domestic plant , very toxic. The milky juice is toxic for dogs. Symptoms: diarrhoea containing blood, excessive urination.
Domestic plant, very toxic. The leaves are very toxic for dogs. Symptoms: salivation, diarrhoea, vomiting, bleeding, difficulties breathing, difficulties swallowing, bleeding of the gums.
Very toxic domestic plant. The leaves and the stems are very toxic for dogs. Symptoms: Salivation, diarrhoea, vomiting, bleeding( digestive system, uterus, gums) difficulties breathing and swallowing.
Extremely toxic domestic plant. The leaves are toxic for dogs. Symptoms: salivation, diarrhoea, vomiting, respiratory difficulties, cramps, coordination problems, low blood pressure, cardiac rhythm disturbances.
Domestic and garden plant toxic/non toxic. The entire plant is toxic, the highest level of poison is in the roots. Symptoms: vomiting, diarrhoea ( after the ingestion, diarrhoea containing blood)
Candelabra cactus – Spur crown ( splendid spurge) : moderately toxic.
Dieffenbachia: moderately toxic.
Mistletoe: very toxic.
Cat nip ( Napata)lightly toxic.
Hydrangea: Very toxic.
Holly: moderately toxic.
Pink-Bay tree: slightly toxic.
Ivy: slightly toxic.
Lilly ( or other liliaceous ): very toxic.
Philodendron: moderately toxic.
Poinsettia: slightly to moderately toxic.
Raisins or grapes: Moderately toxic.
Rhododendron: moderately toxic.
Jerusalem Cherry tree
Other flowers and plants are harmful for dogs and we would like you to be cautious and get information from your veterinarian or your gardening expert before you start your garden or your flower pots.
In case of problems, consult your veterinarian without delay with, if possible, a sample of the plant that was ingested.